Tuesday, October 6, 2009

My End or Yours?


Question: Did the International Olympic Committee Get It Right in Denying Chicago the Privilege of Hosting the 2016 Summer Games?


Becky Boop: Absolutely

What was refreshing today, for a change, was seeing the process work the way it should. I am not going to revisit the many reasons I believed Chicago's bid to be faulty. You are already well aware of my stance if you read Wednesday's post. However, I feared that the combo of Chicago Machine politics and graft, coupled with the persuasive push from the Obamas, might tip things past the point of sanity, as money often does.

The IOC made the right decision. I like the idea of Chicago on the world stage as much as the next guy, in theory. My hometown is a damned fine City. But we need to clean a little house internally and make this a great place for ALL to live, not just the North Side elite, before trying to impress the rest of the planet. We're not ready. The bid was weak and the IOC saw past all the begging.

When I was reminded this week that South America has NEVER hosted an Olympics, I was surprised. Somehow it doesn't seem right to skip a whole continent when the Games' very motivation is to unite all nations in competition. The 2016 Summer Games in Rio de Janeiro will right a longtime oversight, and I am very pleased. America will have its turn again, and perhaps it will be Chicago where they are hosted. Let us set a goal to remake ourselves into a more rational, safe and fiscally sound City, worthy of setting an example, by that time.
Oh, and one more thing: Suck it Daley! Ha!



Jen: Perhaps...


Let me start by saying this: I do not think the IOC got in WRONG. In choosing Rio (which did not come as a huge surprise in the end), they chose a city - a Continent really - that built up a passion and pride for its bid rarely seen in recent times. The United States made history in 2008 and it was nice to see another region do the same, even if it is just in the name of sports. Selfishly speaking though, I was all too stoked to hear Chicago's name called in the final round and stunned and equally saddened to hear it, instead, in round one as having the lowest numer of votes. Seriously people, I nearly cried.


I will not pretend to know the intricate details of why the bid was or wasn't good. I will not pretend to have the ins on the political B.S. that most certainly motivated not only Chicago to go for the bid, but also for Chicago losing the bid. The only thing I do know is that I am a self-described Olympic geek and already invisioned myself wandering around the Olympic village buying up all the swag I could afford. My bucket list is relatively short, but attending an Olympic medal ceremony (and hopefully hearing my National Anthem) is high on the list. And OMG to experience that in my home town!!!??? The excitement was unimaginable. I am the girl who cries when the National Anthem plays, cries at the "human interest" pieces bringing competitors from zero to hero, cries at the splendor of the parade of countries....I WANTED THE OLYMPICS HERE!!!!!!


Each side of for/against the bid has reasons why it would have been good/bad for the city. I am sure there is a bit of truth to most of it. King Daley is totally lame for making this a one and done scenario, proving he wasn't in this at all for the glory of sport. I get it. But if I were told tomorrow we would make a go of it for 2020, I would back the bid.

1 comment:

  1. Had I known my beloved sister felt this strongly about the Games, from such a heartfelt place, I may never have opposed the bid at all. My principles go right out the window when it comes to Jen's happiness. Can we get a revote?

    ReplyDelete