Monday, July 19, 2010

Twitter Envy


Its no secret that I am terribly obsessed with Hollywood gossip. I like to blame it on my job, since it is key to be aware of all the happenings in order to talk about it on the air. The truth is, I would probably be looking at the same trashy websites anyway but perhaps with not as much enthusiasm. I make repeated rounds through http://www.people.com/ http://www.tmz.com/ http://www.perezhilton.com/ and the like in an effort to grab the latest information and get it out there before anyone else is talking about it. Sometimes 7 or 8 times in a day. I started noticing a common thread in the stories on these tabloid URLs: "so and so said in a Twitter rant", or "so and so took to their Twitter account to discuss blah blah blah". So I got to thinking - If I were on Twitter I would know these things before the intern at http://www.people.com/ got a tutorial on how to post something on the web.


Brilliant! I feverishly downloaded the Twitter app to my phone and began following as many relevant celebs as possible (and some irrelevant yet guilty pleasures). Within no time, I began reading endless "Tweets" from real celebs talking about their real lives. In a matter of days one of the DJs I work with scooped the city on Pink getting into an accident on stage overseas - thanks to her Tweet from the ambulance. SCORE! It would be hours before that story would hit the Internets. This was all working out just the way I had planned. That is, until Twitter envy began to take affect.


After a few days of reading a running feed on how fab these celeb's lives are, I started feeling a bit down. Man, I wish I had "Just finished racing the wave runners. Now laying out on the yacht top deck enjoying the sun." (Paris Hilton) and I wish I were "Gathered around with friends playing music. I live and breathe for these moments in my life" (Demi Lovato). I mean, come on! I'm reading these Tweets while Rosebud is taking her 100th swing of the day at KK's head while putting the 5th load of laundry in the dryer. No fair!


I'm left feeling like I'm missing out on something. I'm getting a sneak peek into the lifestyles of the rich and famous, as they say, but only in 140 characters or less. Beyond that, its members only. Of course I will still follow along and grab the occasional scoop when I can get it (and boy is it fun to read Spencer Pratt's cray-zay rants). But something tells me it would be much more fun to be the one who "got an Emmy nomination for Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution!" (Ryan Seacrest)

1 comment:

  1. Sell out. Boo! Twitter stinks. I never have gotten the fuss and I never will. That said, you make some interesting observations. The "real life" you are following in 140 characters or less is every bit as fake as the television image. Lindsay Lohan has been drumming up business for her account - telling people to read her tweets for the "true story." Yeah right.

    ReplyDelete