Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Case of the Ex


Trying to get settled into my new life (apartment, job, a bundle of freelance projects that seems to grow everyday) has left me exhausted, not to mention woefully ignorant of anything important in the realm of news. I have stayed abreast of pop culture through furtive Blackberry readings of Perez Hilton on my daily commute (cut to image of Boop hanging her head in burning shame). Therefore, instead of one of my signature topical rants, you will keep getting anecdotes from my daily life until I can find time to re-enter the larger world.

My new office, located at Lake and Clinton is, quite literally, a stone's throw away from one of my former employers, a company called Information Resources. I worked at the consumer spending tracking company from 2005-2007 while completing my Master's in English Lit. at Northeastern. If you have ever seen the movie Office Space, or are familiar with the similiarly named TV show, The Office, you will be easily able to bring an image of IRI's employees and work ethic to mind. It is, without the shadow of a doubt, the silliest place where I ever did time. I mean that in the best way. Full of happy hours, sloppy floor parties, hookups, rumor and innuendo, I am not sure much work ever got done. This may be part of the reason the company has gone through massive layoffs since I left, but I digress...

Boop was a single graduate student during her tenure at IRI, and I will own upfront that I was a great partaker in the aforementioned bundle of shenanigans (see paragraph above). My fellow employees and I got on, as Forrest Gump might say, "like peas and carrots." I had nicknames such as "The Prom Queen," "The Happy Hour Genie," and "The Makeout Bandit." It is all too true. During those freewheeling single days, I did use my place of employment as a de facto dating service. And not unsuccessfully either. Eddie and I met while he was a consultant at the company.

The problem is that some of my failed dalliances remain very much employed at IRI. I like to think I have morphed somewhat into a more respectable person since I left the halls of Information Resources: married woman, graduate, thriving career of sorts. Long gone are the days when I did three or more messy rounds of after work cocktails per week. My liver and gym routines will not allow it.

However, I cannot reasonably expect my discarded paramours to recognize my newfound maturity. So each day in my new role at Illinois Partners contains the same routine: I disembark from the Metra and run like hell for the safe confines of my building's vestibule. At 5:00, I skedaddle back to the Ogilvie Station with sunglasses firmly in place, praying to avoid running into anyone who hates me.

This plan carried me through a full week free of the ghosts of boyfriends past. However, my luck ran out on Tuesday afternoon as I was lazily returning from lunch. The enemy always seems to attack when your guard is down.

He was getting out of a cab and oh no! It was the worst possibility of all: Kiran, the guy I left to get together with Eddie. The fact that Eddie and I have been married for 2.5 years, and Kiran's own status as a happily married fella with a one year-old daughter, lulled me into the belief that perhaps we had grown, and could have a cordial conversation with bygones being where they belong.

Wrong. I could see recognition wash over Kiran's face, followed closely by what can only be described as a look of withering scorn. I prayed very hard for the sidewalk to open up and swallow me, a la Baby Jessica down the well, but that shit never works when you need it to. So I braced myself for the stilted, unnatural conversation that was to follow.

It took all of about 30 seconds, but of course the discussion felt like hours. I left with the distinct impression that Kiran thinks he "won" because he has a child at this point and I don't. Ah yes, baby making as some sort of contest: yet another reason I don't go there. I didn't feel the need to explain to him that there's nothing at all wrong with my eggs or Eddie's sperm. Let my personal choice make him feel avenged if it means an end to sidewalk nastiness.

It's only week two at the new job and there's at least five or six former suitors left for me to run into. Stay tuned...

5 comments:

  1. By the way, the company is now called Symphony IRI Group. Who is Kiran? Do I know him? And are you gonna come clean on the other five or six or do I have to get you drunk? LMFAO!!

    -Mr. A

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mentioned yesterday, quite casually, that you ran in to an ex boyfriend, but failed to mention the hilarity of this encounter. Amazeballs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to clarify, I did not SLEEP with all of these people - just a little drunken snogging. Mr. A, you might be the only one I didn't make out with while employed at IRI. Nothing personal.

    I thought I gave you names at one of our famous bar trivia nights?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do you mean nothing personal? I totally take that personally! lol!

    If you gave me the names maybe I was drunk...but I don't think you did.

    -Mr. A

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were married when we both worked there. I may have been a shameless, drunken slag but I did have a line!

    ReplyDelete