Monday, April 12, 2010

Cupcakes for Cancer




Regular readers of this blog are well aware of the fact that Boop and I have been touched significantly by Ovarian Cancer. In 1991 we lost our beloved Grandma June and in 2009 the funniest person Boop and I have ever met, Jesika Thompson, lost a very quick battle with the same disease. So this year we decided to take action and register for the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition Illinois Chapter Walk to Break the Silence on May 1st. Its a 3 mile walk around Chicago's beautiful lake front and the whole family can participate. That means KK and Rosebud can join in on the cause as well. Rosebud is still stroller bound on walks of this distance, but KK is not and therefore had to pay an entry fee like the rest of us. I asked her if she wanted to do it and she was all for it. So I told her she had to earn the money with a fundraiser. Thumbs up yet again. So it was decided momma would cook up dozens of her famous (box) cupcakes of all varieties and give them out with donations to the cause.




This past Saturday we set up shop on our front lawn with our cupcakes and signs and waved people into our driveway. After many hours of baking/frosting/back aching we started to see the fruits of our labor as people came by the dozens for the treats and a good cause. See, that's one of the things my family and I learned on this day: there are still quite a few decent people walking this earth. Here is a list of some lessons we learned on this day:






  • Regular reader (and extended family member) Sanjiv was kind enough to stop by with his wife and child (daddy and daughter in fab matching batman/batgirl shirts, I might add) to support us. They had a busy day, but made sure to take the time out for someone else. Lesson: people can truly be selfless


  • Both of my sisters-in-law and their respective families turned up with cash in hand. Lesson: Kids love cupcakes. Oops, no, what I meant was you can count on family.


  • A friend of mine from the neighborhood came by with her kids and stayed to help for a bit without being asked. And by "a bit" I mean the entire 3-1/2 hours we were out there. Lesson: people can surprise you in good ways too.


  • We are taught not to judge based on appearance but, let's face it, we all do it one time or another. Well, the dudes in their weekend sports cars barely looked twice at us. But the 2001 Ford minivan with the bumper hanging off went around the block to come back and donate. Lesson: Its often the people who have the least to give that end up giving the most.


  • My family of 4 spent the whole day outside together, helping one another toward the same goal, enjoying the sunshine, sharing laughs, and just enjoying each other's company. Lesson: We can do lots of things besides watch Nick Jr. all day.


When all was said and done and the donations were counted it up, the total exceeded our initial goal by nearly 6 times. It was absolutely unbelievable. Thank you so much to all of the people who were there for us along the way, physically or spiritually. The total donations for Team June/Jesika continue to grow. I would much rather have those two gals back here with us, but since that is not possible this will have to do.



Oh...and since we were completely wiped out of cupcakes, there were none left to eat myself and now I don't have to eat them out of obligation. Cuz, ya know, don't want to throw out perfectly good food and all that. My hips are grateful.



2 comments:

  1. 1. Great pictures and poster. KK looks as proud of her spread as she should be.

    2. I am an obvious loser for having missed such a fantastic event.

    3. Jen is a great Mom and it seems a lot of super lessons were passed down by her good example to KK and Rosebud. Never knew KK's participation in the walk was tied to her own fundraising efforts, but how great are both of you for working to make that happen - bringing money to a good cause and a lot of joy to your neighborhood.

    4. I had to wait until i got home and calmed down before I posted my thoughts because Jen's recap choked me up to an embarassing degree (for Metra commuters). June and Jesika are really, really proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twas not my goal to have you embarass yourself in public, but that was an added bonus to my day. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete