Thursday, November 25, 2010

10 Unusual Things For Which I'm Thankful

1. Getting Fired

Yes, though I remain out of work and the unemployment experience is often panic-filled and emotionally draining, I am grateful to have been let go. That's because the job I worked, under the thumb of an arbitrary and capricious narcissist, was wrong for me and my long-term goals in just about every way. But because I will often continue to push a boulder up a hill even after my back gives out, I'm not sure anything short of termination would have allowed me to look beyond my immediate surroundings to strive for something better.


2. Bristol Palin Finishing 3rd on "Dancing with the Stars"

This bit of justice served demonstrated to me, on a microcosmic level, that the rational middle can band together to combat the hysterical and determined fringe, if only their organizational abilities are channeled in the right direction. All that remains is to inspire people to vote for their national leaders and the direction of their children's future with the same enthusiasm. Maybe one day we can vote for President via 888 number, text and email?


3. Tendonitis

When a recurring case of deep tissue tendonitis on the underside of my right foot ended a burgeoning running career, I felt despondent. Forced to sit on the sidelines for eight weeks until I could consider cardio again, I felt like the oldest 32 year-old in the world. But then my friend and trainer Rob repaired my old bicycle and a new world opened. I have covered the entire North and West sides of my beloved hometown of Chicago on a trusty Schwinn, and I have people watched until the eyes literally stung. And my problematic thighs and rear end have never looked better. Boo ya injury!


4. My Father's Final Break With Reality

Tragic and more painful than there are words to describe, but also oddly transformative and liberating at the same time. For the first time in 32 years, I am not living anyone else's life or paying for anyone else's mistakes but my own.


5. My Husband's Anxiety

My nickname for Eddie is "Aunty," because in many areas of his mostly together life, he carries himself with the needless worry of an old Indian woman. I tell him often that he loves to conjure crisis where there isn't any. But in one particular case, when he fretted for naught this year that he was about to be let go from his contract position at work (instead, they wanted to offer him an extension), his jumpiness paid dividends. He now has a permanent managerial job with a huge and stable company - with plenty of room to grow. In a year plagued with my own employment instability (see #1), there is something to be said for insurance.


6. The BP Gulf Oil Spill

Of COURSE I wish this catastrophe had never happened. So much coastline, so many animals, jobs and resources destroyed by the carelessness and greed of a government/corporate dynamic. Horrifying. But since the tragedy did occur, I learned a lesson, one I am afraid much of America has not yet received. We MUST liberate ourselves from clutches of oil consumption. It is bad for our environment. It is bad for our nation's security. It is bad for our economy. We need a plan, and we need lawmakers who aren't more interested in lining their pockets with Big Oil slush funds.


7. Mayor Daley's Resignation

Ding dong the witch is dead! Whatever the King's reasons, I could not be happier to rid this fantastic City of his corrupt ass. The sickening property taxes, the astronomical cost of housing, the horrendous parking meter lease, the Chicago Olympic never-should-have-happened bid. Waste, graft. Rarely have I seen a lawmaker so overstay his welcome, although John Boehner has been House Majority Leader for like 10 minutes and I'm already past my limit. Anyway, Daley's departure also opens up one of the most wacky and exciting populist contests to hit the Chicago machine since I don't know when. Rahm Emannuel, Roland Burris, and Carol Mosley Braun? Nuts!


8. The Finale of Lost

Thank you Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse for teaching a control freak such as I that it is possible to be utterly mystified, vexed and awed and still love every moment of what I am seeing.


9. Brett Michaels

The former hair metal hasbeen taught me this year that it is possible to cheat death twice (major stroke, hole in the heart) and still come back to win Celebrity Apprentice and bust up Billy Ray Cyrus' marriage. Inspirational middle finger to the Grim Reaper.


10. Nicoderm CQ

For saving Eddie's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment