Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Hump Day


Wikipedia, one of Eddie's all-time information sources, defines Hump Day as "An American English idiom, a reference to making it through to the middle of the work week as getting 'over the hump.'" Well I don't have a workweek anymore per say, although I have projects piling up on me left and right, the more so since Mummy and Papa are here and I don't have time to work. Isn't that always the way? These days, when it rains, it pours - quite literally.

Despite the cloudy morning skies, and little hope of seeing the sun at all this week, I do have some things to smile about. Mummy and I seem to be coming to a good understanding, borne out of mutual respect. I have been as they say, killing 'em with kindness, and the end result is that I am finding myself assaulted with criticism less and less.

Today is also the day that my second StreetWise article hits print. The Father's Day piece I worked on features interviews with our very own Jen of All Trades, as well as my Aunt Diane and another good friend, Danielle. The article deals with the role fathers have, or have not, played in the lives of successful Chicago women. It was an emotional piece for me to prepare and one I am quite proud of. If you have a chance, pick up a copy and let me know what you think.

I had grand designs of walking the in-laws around Milennium Park today, but it appears Mother Nature has other ideas. So it's Wal-Mart and pizza instead. Those of you closest to me are likely doing a double take, well aware that I refer to Wal-Mart on the regular as the "Evil Empire." But these folks from India feel it is a magical place where you can purchase anything at Third World prices. This ignores the competetively unfair practices engaged in by the corporate behemoth, not to mention their Draconian labor relations. But as I do not plan to give them a dime out of my pocket, I have decided it is best to go with the flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment