Friday, August 28, 2009

Home Sweet Home?

This is very odd. My return flight from London landed bang on time at 7:30 PM last night. As luck would have it, Eddie had just touched down from South Carolina and walked over to my arrival area just as I was walking out. I was glad to see him and we had so much to talk about on the cab ride home.

I was feeling a little rough after the long flight. I developed a touch of the flu the night before I left London that worsened by the following morning. I tried to rest and relax on the plane, but of course, that is often easier said than done. Still, my euphoria kept me going and I gave my cats a hug and started setting my dusty and hairball filled apartment to rights. In so many respects, it is good to be back. There's just one problem.

It doesn't feel right. I wonder if this will start to wear off with the passing of the days, and as my jetlag subsides, but something has changed and I can't quite put my finger on it. I have always said that Chicago is the greatest City in the world, and in many respects it is. But there's now a competitor on the board for me, and I connected with London so very deeply that it really did at times feel like I was exactly where I am supposed to be.

Can you feel homesick for a place in which you have only spent four days? A town where you were not born, but maybe feel you should have been? Because in thinking more about my Westminster meltdown, the feeling I come away with is one of deja vu, as if I have been there before, and if not, than at least the mothership was pulling me in with her tractor beam.

2 comments:

  1. If you move there, then I will have to move to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given my lack of luck in the US job market, this tiny germ of an idea that has been planted continues to grow.

    ReplyDelete