Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Town Hall Terror



Can we all agree in a nonpartisan way that this ghettoness is a black eye (another one) on our country and needs to stop immediately? I am all for vigorous public debate and dissent, no matter what my friend Timbo says. I am not so sure I love all parts of Obama's health care reform plan either, but the President has demonstrated a willingness to talk it out. Disrespectfully shouting each other down, intimidation - how in the world does this help us sort out the issue and implement change in a viable way?

I have trouble believing it, but it seems there are in fact those who desire status quo health care policy. I understand that a lot of people simply fear change, but there's just no arguing that health care as it is in America costs too much money and doesn't work the way it should for many of us. Even when one has "good" insurance, you just can't afford to get sick. Preventive care? Almost nonexistent.

My point however is not to state my allegiance to health care reform, though I am 100% behind it. I have been so disgusted and disappointed each day for the last week plus that I have turned on CNN to find reports of animal behavior at Town Hall meetings designed to educate and answer questions about the proposed plan.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/08/12/health.care.fears/

It seems that fear has become a great instigator. I am afraid too, about many things, but I know well that being a little scared can help you make smart decisions, or it can leave one inert. When it comes to health care reform, we can't allow the latter, as we did 15 years ago. It's too important to our economic recovery, and our wellness as Americans. Stop the madness!

2 comments:

  1. It's so hard to unpack all the Stupid that is now floating around out there. And as long as the media feels compelled to give Stupid equal time or to give credence to Stupid because that's what "people" are talking about (the so-called "Cokie's Law"), Stupid is enabled further.

    This is what happens when a profiteering industry with lots of money to throw around meets a group of hard-core unreconstructed xenophobes with too much time on their hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Stupid is actually getting more than it's fair share of time, with the result that I find myself re-educating even the well-meaning and engaged, like my husband. It's dangerous. Last night, I explained to him that there is no such thing as a "death panel" in the bill, nor do those words appear anywhere. I then had to tell him that part of the bill is simply encouraging doctors to discuss all options with terminal patients, rather than continuing to give false hope and take money with a series of expensive and costly medications and surgeries - and this only if the patient asks. It's a long way from that to a "panel" who decides if you live or die. I am so frustrated.

    ReplyDelete