Monday, September 21, 2009

Monday: Surgery, a Job Interview and the Goodman Theater

I haven't had a regular day job in more than four months. I think this often gives folks the erroneous impression (often encouraged by me) that I am a slacker who has nothing but free time on her hands. Not so. I will not bore you with the mundane details of a typical day but between my causes, freelancing, household chores, family business management and job seeking, Eddie would be the first to report that I appear to be stretched thinner now than when I "worked."

But by any standards, today is a doozy that will require a plethora of mental and physical strength.

The morning began at 6 AM when I got up to straighten the house, and myself, prior to wrestling Snuggy back over the vet. I use my choice of words purposely. You would not think a near toothless old cat, with a jaw infection and an absence of front claws would be able to put up much of a fight about anything. You would be wrong. I became seriously afraid that I might accidentally break Snuggy's neck while shoving him back in the cat carrier. He was apparently onto my ruse that we were just going out for a nice, early morning mother and son walk. Gratefully, my back seat remained free of pee on the short drive to the animal clinic. I should be able to see Snuggy again after 3 PM this afternoon.

Before that time, I have to shower, dress up like I am trying to impress somebody (have almost forgotten what this is like in my unemployment uniform of t-shirt and sweats), and head downtown for a job interview. As Boop has crashed and burned several times this summer in a high profile way, she chooses to release minimal details on this opportunity. All I will mention is that it's just about perfect for my current needs, and I will be happy to tell everyone all about it should I meet with success.

After I get off the el, I will have to get back over to Uptown Animal Hospital and bring the patient home. I should have just about enough time to wolf down a snack before hopping the el back downtown. I have to see a play for the Edge called Stoop at the Goodman Theater tonight - 7 PM. Shows at the Goodman are almost always high quality, but truth be told, I feel a little guilty that Snuggy will be home alone tonight. This is one instance of about 10 million when I wish my husband were not always on the road. I will be running from the theater faster than usual.

I hope whatever you are doing on this cloudy and humid Monday morning, whatever hoops you are jumping though, whatever annoyances you are coping with, you know it's all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment