Thursday, March 18, 2010

Wal-Mart Gift Wraps Me Another Reason to Hate Them



I have been calling this retailer "The Evil Empire" for years. I know they have everything, and they have it on the cheap, but I won't shop there.

Let's leave aside the unfair business practices, and predatory assault on regional Mom and Pop stores the chain unleashed in the 1980s and 90s. Let's forget about their sweat shop labor practices: the abuse of needy seniors, the unfair pay raises awarded to men over women. I can even try to overlook some of their most glaring PR gaffes, say two Christmases ago when a man did a nice thing and bought hundreds of $10 store gift cards to pass out at his local outlet, only to be kicked out of the place by management, worried that the benvolent gift might decrease recipient spending.

On the whole, no matter how many lovey dovey ad campaigns they launch, Wal-Mart appears to me to be the very eptiome of the heartless corporation. Daley and I don't see eye to eye on much, but I for one am thrilled he has thus far kept Wal-Mart out of City limits. May it always remain that way. I would rather spend an additional five cents on my body wash at the far more civic minded Target.

Incidentally, if you doubt the veracity of any of my claims thus far, feel free to take to the Web. The truth is out there, as Mulder might say.

However, last evening while watching CNN, and again this morning, when I booted up my computer, I came across a story that managed to shock me, though I had long given up on Wal-Mart having any shame:

Black people must leave, NJ Walmart announcer says
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Black-people-must-leave-NJ-apf-1749619349.html?x=0

Now, before any of you jump on my back, yes, I know this was one rogue employee, and this behavior is not explicitly condoned by corporate. Wal-Mart execs are falling all over themselves to snuff this PR mess, vowing to get to the bottom of the "unacceptable" behavior. That's wonderful, except this is nowhere near the first time complaints of racism have been leveled at the retail giant. This latest example, perhaps arguably the most egregious, is just one of many.

1. November 16, 2009

Arrest at Walmart triggers charges of racism
Incident with white customers and workers could land black teacher in jail
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33963193/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

2. May 2009

Wal-Mart Charged with Racism…Again, and Other News
http://www.racewire.org/archives/2009/05/walmart_charged_with_racismaga.html

3. December 2, 2005

Racism alive and well at your neighborhood Wal-Mart
http://www.thoughtcrimes.org/s9/index.php?/archives/380-Racism-alive-and-well-at-your-neighborhood-Wal-Mart.html


If we expect the President of the United States to be held accountable for the direction of our nation, down to the smallest detail, then we must hold the chiefs of Wal-Mart to the same standard.

I bet New York wishes it could create some literal distance between itself and the white trash Garden State right about now.

I refused to be dazzled by dollar bargains when my social conscience knows better. As I detailed, it's more than just systemic racism that irks me about the company. But this pattern has to be fixed, and fixed now. And "yes, we can" shop at another store until Wal-Mart cleans up it's act - recession or not.

6 comments:

  1. Not to dilute your hate, but what I'm reading says that it was not a Wal-Mart employee who asked people to leave the store, but some kid who got hold of the PA system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, sometimes my posts can seem a little outdated in light of developing information as a story breaks. But the other instances I presented of racial bias still stand. It's still a problem. And Wal-Mart still sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've moderated my feelings towards Wal-Mart considerably, as there is still a chance I may end up working there. Part of it was knowing people who actually worked there in the corporate offices and finding out they were fairly normal. Part of it is realizing that no large company is immune from these kinds of issues - Wal-Mart gets nailed because it is so much bigger, but Whole Foods (to pick a liberal/ progressive fave) has pretty much the same attitude towards unions, universal health care, and local retailers as Wal-Mart. The fact that there haven't been any noteworthy racial issues at Whole Foods is probably more attributable to residential segregation and Whole Foods' price point as anything else.

    I'm not an apologist by any means, but I think a lot of the things people complain about with Wal-Mart have to do with its being a large corporation, and no large corporation will be virtuous unless incentivized to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read this article on CNN.

    http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/03/24/michigan.medical.marijuana.fired/index.html?hpt=T2

    While this isn't racism, it is an ism. What would it be? Potism? Hempism? Grassism? Stonerism? The speculative list can go on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am long overdue to write about the issue of legalizing marijuana. Of course Wal-Mart is the firing employer in this tale.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy just saw a job posting recently which required the applicant to be "tobacco free for 12 months." That was a rather unusual requirement.

    ReplyDelete