Tuesday, January 5, 2010

CNN Tidbits


Those who know me best are aware that I readily own up to my addictions: one of which is this venerable cable news stalwart. I think my problem dates back to the 2004 Kerry/Bush election, but it took on the hallmarks of a full blown habit early in 2007 with the Democratic primaries. I got WAY into CNN during the 2008 election coverage, and somehow never left after Obama's victory over McCain.

The anchors and pundits of CNN both fill my heart with joy, and alternately repulse me, like any good family members ought. Weekend staff members Don Lemon and Fredricka Whitfield are young, pretty and nonthreatening, same for Erica Hill, AC360's regular guest host. Lou Dobbs, before his recent departure, was the cranky old backward uncle I loved to argue with. Campbell Brown possesses just enough "red" leanings in her to prevent accusations of network liberalism. Then of course you have Wolf, AC, Christiane Amanpour, Sanjay Gupta and Fareed Zakaria - the channel's All-Stars.

I mention all of this by way of acknowledgement that very few people besides myself may find interest in the latest news of which the channel is an agent, rather than a conduit. Be that as it may:

1. Kathy Griffin banned from CNN after F-bomb drop on New Year's Eve

http://www.examiner.com/x-22153-Cleveland-Pop-Culture-Examiner~y2010m1d5-Kathy-Griffin-banned-from-CNN-after-Fbomb-drop-on-New-Years-Eve-watch-the-YouTube-video

It is hard to find any synpathy for CNN here. You take a notoriously ribald comedienne, put her in the Big Apple live on New Year's Eve, and you expect what, her and AC to share recipes with viewers? Of course she said something off color. This is a woman who famously stated, upon winning an Emmy, "I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus. Suck it, Jesus, this award is my god now!"

Personally, I enjoyed Griffin and Cooper the last two New Years. If I want boring and predictable, I can always switch over to Seacrest. I hope CNN gets its underwear out of a bunch and rethinks the decision.

2. Lou Dobbs Launches Members-Only Web Site

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/01/04/lou-dobbs-launches-members-only-web-site/

Why would I pay my hard earned dollars to read shit I didn't want to hear when it was free? And I hear he may also run for Congress in New Jersey. That lucky Garden State.

2 comments:

  1. You neglected the story that was in the "latest news" section of the home page on cnn.com which asked "Finding the G-spot. Is it real?" No joke. It has since been removed. I love Christiane Amanpour

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! That would have livened my post up. I missed that one.

    ReplyDelete