Tuesday, January 19, 2010

See this Movie Immediately!

Bar none, best film of 2009, and not only because it is so "now" tapping into the modern scene of mass corporate layoffs and the soulless road warriors who hand them out. The movie is really that simple, and yet oh so much more. George Clooney, who never fails to be both hunky and and an amazing actor, is truly a revelation in this film.

I have yet to see Crazy Heart but hear Jeff Bridges presents a formidable challenge to Clooney for the Best Actor Oscar. I am going to make it a point to check that movie out next week so I can make a truly informed decision. But George is going to be tough to beat. I should also mention that I like Colin Firth in A Single Man as a possible dark horse spoiler.

But I digress. See Up in the Air. I realize America is enamored with Avatar at the moment (blah!) and doesn't seem to have an appetite for much else. But I urge you to forget the blue people and check out this film: no special effects, no suspension of disbelief, no cliche happy endings. Just good old fashioned movie making. A beautiful, gorgeous piece of modern art.

2 comments:

  1. I regret to say I watched this movie at home and fell alseep. TOtally lame. But Max finished it out and described the rest to me....sad sad sad that I missed out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked it, but thought it could have benefited from a little editing. It also kind of made me think of this Onion article about a road warrior who knows about this nice little bar at O'Hare. I wondered if the writers saw that article and thought "I could make a movie about this" and "Up in the Air" was the result.

    I'm sure it's old to you, but if you haven't seen "500 Days of Summer", you should. If you liked "Up in the Air", you'll probably like "500 Days of Summer."

    ReplyDelete