Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Which End is Up!? Turns 1!


Exactly one year ago today, Jen of All Trades wrote the following post:

http://whichendisup2day.blogspot.com/2009/01/premier.html

This introduction ushered in Jen's brand of uniquely relatable Everymom/Career Woman humor. The next day, she asked her frustrated writer sister, languishing at an administrative management job from hell, if she'd like to get off her duff, stop daydreaming about putting her work out there, and actually, you know, start producing.

A lot has happened since Jen published her first post. As Which End is Up?! celebrates its first birthday, let's pause and reflect on some of the changes in our own lives and the world at large:


  • America's leadership - Out with Dubya (mercifully), in with Obama

  • Inspired by the creative juices that began to flow as I wrote my own posts, I finally mustered the courage to leave corporate America and follow my dreams. In less than a year, I have published six articles for StreetWise (two of which have been nominated for awards by the Illinois Woman's Press Association), over a dozen theater and book reviews for Edge Chicago, and two well received articles for Jettison Quarterly.

  • Baby Rosebud fought, and won, her fight to get well.

  • Loved ones and great friends, both famous and not, left us.

There is so much more, but birthdays are just as much about looking forward as they are about looking back. On a personal note, I want to thank my co-blogger and sister from the bottom of my heart. Her idea for this collaboration knocked something loose inside me, something exciting and scary that I am not sure would ever have come dislodged without her kicking me in the pants. Jen is more than a sister to me - she is an inspiration on so many levels.


But we write for more than just ourselves on these pages. We want to hear from you, your impressions about the work we've done the last year. Is there something you'd like to hear us talk about? Anything we could be doing better?


Thanks for reading! Another year of blogging begins...

3 comments:

  1. I say 2010 should include more photos of fat asses that AREN'T mine. What say you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I suppose I should say something poignant too. Okay, here it is. I got the idea for this blog BECUASE I wanted my sister to make me look good. I, on occasion, have something witty to contribute, but SHE is the real talent here. It is most evident in her pieces that combine her passion for politics with her wit and charm. She has an amazing ability to make a great story out of one that is just so-so on the surface. Its all in the attention to detail infused with humor and serious, fact-based research. I can only hope and pray that SOMEONE out there recognizes this talent and starts paying her heaps of money for her written words (so she can give me 20%).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both very touching and funny. That's my girl.

    ReplyDelete