Thursday, January 28, 2010

State of the Union


I listened to every moment of the President's address before the joint houses of Congress (and a very dour and censured looking Supreme Court) last night. In many respects, I thought Obama did a great job. He said a lot of tough things that needed to be said, that most of us are aware of, but rarely hear come from the mouths of our elected leaders. Such as the fact that he has increased deficit spending in the last year, but felt that given the choice of two evils: letting America go belly up or adding to our long term monetary problems, he had no option but to go with the latter. He also reminded us, as God I have wanted Obama to do so many times in recent months, that a great reason everyone is so panicked about the deficit is because of the fine legacy of fiscal "conservative" George W. Bush.

In general, I thought our President came off as committed and firm, aware of his mistakes, but ready to get out there and keep trying, because damn it that's what we elected him to do and America has some serious problems that need fixing.

As one of my young co-workers eloquently stated over happy hour beers last evening, "I don't trust government, but I do trust Obama." I think that about sums it up for me too, so while I felt somewhat re-energized after the President's address, I felt the keen sense that his commitment to change is only as good as the worthless Congress whose help he requires to get things done. I am as liberal as they come, but I would be remiss here if I lay the blame solely at the feet of the minority Republican coalitions in the House and Senate.

In fact, the ironic feature of Obama's address last night was that we could not, for one visual moment, get away from the symbol of Democratic incompetence and arrogant gamesmanship - that would be House Leader Nancy Pelosi. This woman is as guilty of anyone else on the Hill of misleading, disappointing and delaying the life improvement of so many Americans. As much as I wanted to let go and get into the rhythm of the diverse messages the President was disseminating (are we REALLY near the end of the hateful "Don't Ask, Don't Tell?"), it was hard to do with the constant presence of the elected official who failed to pass anything of strength or importance in the House this last year, despite the benefit of an overwhelming majority.

In fact I found that I was more attuned to the resurgence of hope that Obama was trying to engender when I left the room to fold my laundry and ready my things for the next work day. Eddie always watches the TV at top volume, a habit that normally irritates the beejesus out of me. However, on this occasion, Eddie's hearing loss enabled me to take most of it in from the opposite side of the house, free of Nancy's mystifyingly smug and empowered visage.

Joe Biden is pretty useless too. His penchant for foot in mouth PR gaffes has relegated him to status as the 21st century's answer to Dan Quayle. However, it is his very lack of being able to affect anything that renders his image benign. Let him stand behind Obama and smile like the Ed McMahon to his Johnny Carson. But for the next State of the Union, can we find another seat for Pelosi?

2 comments:

  1. Uh, the House health bill was by almost every measure better than the Senate bill. Progressive legislation fares much better in the House, where they don't impose supermajority requirements on passing legislation that are not actually part of the Constitution. Unlike Harry Reid and the Senate, where states representing 37% of the population can block legislation advocated by the other 63% due to a supermajority rule that people now treat as though it is a part of the Constitution rather than a simple custom. And thus we get the health care that Joe Lieberman will allow us to have.

    I'm not thrilled with Nancy Pelosi, but the House is not where progressive legislation is dying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally think that this was one of the best State of the Union addresses ever, and it came at just the right time. Obama had alot of positive proposals on the economic side. (To the point where my Fiscally Conservative friend Donny had little to argue with in his proposals.) However, what made this address great was that Obama threw down the gauntlet to the legislators seated in front of him. Imploring for all of them to remember why they were seated there. To serve the American people, not fight with one another.


    That was the true value of this State of the Union. Our leader stood up, looked at both sides of the aisle and reminded them all that while their philosophies may differ their mandate does not.

    Top Marks Mr. President.

    ReplyDelete