Thursday, January 7, 2010

Four Studying Days Left

I received an early morning text message yesterday from my good friend Timbo. It read: "So who are you voting for?" I felt that familiar old panic.

Because you see, good citizens of Illinois, I somehow fell asleep at the wheel again and neglected to realize the 2010 primaries were upon us. Timbo remembered that I had taken a vow in late 2008, after the whole Blago/Roland Burris dustup, never to cast an ignorant local vote again. For I must sadly own, my friends, I voted for deposed Governor Blagojevich, not once, but TWICE. I pay lavish attention to national elections, for years sometimes prior to the first vote being cast. But when it comes to my own backyard, I fall behind on who is in play and what they stand for. Why? Is this because Illinois elections are not covered on CNN or in the pages of the New York Times?

Be that as it may, there is no excuse for my lack of attention. There are so many critical issues and bureaucratic messes confronting the City, County and State. But it is not too late! With a little over four days left to cram and make decisions on who to throw support behind, I have found this handy tool an asset:

http://www.uselections.com/il/il.htm

It gives a pretty great summary of each open office, with links for additional information on the individual candidates. How did I not know we were operating without a Lieutenant Governor? For shame.

About the only vote I am sure of right now is that of the Democratic primary for Governor. I am likely to give Pat Quinn another chance. He has done the best he can with a very bad economic and PR situation post-Blago, and has managed to keep his nose reasonably clean in the process. After that I am not too sure. But I put you on notice Timbo: I will not go the ballot box unprepared this coming Tuesday.

Have you decided who should take the State of Illinois into the next decade?

2 comments:

  1. Not defending G-Rod in any way, but don't feel so bad about that vote after you look up the first Republican candidate he ran against, Jim Ryan, and include the names Rolando Cruz and Jeanine Nicarico.

    Judy Baar Topinka, who was the Republican candidate, the second time you voted for G-Rod picked Joseph Birkett as her running mate for lieutenant governor. You may find his name come up in the first search I suggested and then there is this gem:
    http://truthinjustice.org/marcus-lyons.htm

    Jim Ryan didn't apologize until 2009 for the Nicarico fiasco-I will let you find for yourself when the murder happened and the long road for some sort of closure in this mess.

    So you have G-Rod, former Governor Ryan, Jim Ryan, and Birkett. From both major political parties. People want change, but nothing succeeds like failure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon, it was gracious of you to let me off the hook for my double G-Rod votes. Your comments and links make it most clear that Chi-town has been in a political lose-lose situation when it comes to the major party candidates for many years now. What are your thoughts on current Governor Pat Quinn?

    It's time to turn the page in Illinois politics, as your insightful thoughts render beautifully obvious.

    ReplyDelete