Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Happy Thoughts


Upon reading the insightful comments of new reader jimmypasta (yes, since this is my blog, I do sometimes forget in my wallowing that all of us are feeling some sort of pain), and reflecting for the last couple of days, I have decided to place a moratorium on pity parties. It occurred to me that if I can't find something else to talk about besides how much things obviously suck, I am in for a long and unbearable quarter (year?). So anyway, enough of that and let's talk about what's going right. These little joys may be hard to spot, but they are out there.



  • On a personal note, my baby niece appears to be on the mend, and I expect that Jen will bring her unique voice back to this page very shortly. It may sound trite, but I should stop for a moment and remember to be thankful for my friends, family and health. Too often we (I) take this for granted.

  • Kudos to my good friend Wayne, one of few people I know who is actually receiving a deserved promotion in this time of constant layoff. There is no one worthier.

  • Our pets: these critters know not from recession and hardship. Each time I clean up my 15 year-old cat, Snuggy's, latest pile of gluttonous vomit, or I break up a scuffle between he and his 5 year-old brother, Jordan, I am thankful that not all routines are affected by the downturn in the economy.

  • I am going to Atlanta overnight on business this coming Monday. Temperatures will be in the mid-50s and sunny while I am there. Considering that Chicago hasn't seen anything above 18 degrees in more than a week, this escape is clearly a cause for celebration.

What kinds of things are you thankful for today?

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    It's me again,Mr. Insightful!!
    Here's a tip,get rid of your cat's and replace them with DOGS! I own a Jack Russell (in my profile pic) & a Welsh Corgi. They are great pets/friends & my family loves them!
    I'm sorry,never cared for cats. I did have a dog that lived to 19.5 years,though. I'm grateful for the little things that make up my life. It's not always the big picture view.Sometimes it's just sitting on the couch reading the Daily Herald or a Baseball Digest. Sometimes it's just holding my wifes hand and talking about the promise of a new springtime!.......NOT!! Usually,I'm grabbing her hand trying to pry loose the credit cards! Oh,well,have a nice time in Atlanta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    I'm thankful that I'm finally going to see my friend and her adorable husband tomorrow at the Hopleaf for the first time in (gasp!) a year! And while I love dogs, my son rescued 2 cats from the streets 6 years ago, and I'm happy he did. Joey and Chandler are very snuggly and fun and almost dog-like in that they come when we call them. As for the weather, my girlfriend has traveled to Stockholm in December and Jamaica two weeks ago and no longer knows what season it is...

    I'm grateful for my virtually recession-proof teaching job that I love and my still-running 2001 Grand Prix and that I don't have to handle the money in my household...and that I'm no longer a teenager!

    See you soon, Becky boop!

    ReplyDelete