Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Worst Week Ever?


Jen and I promised a weekly point/counterpoint feature for our readers, "My End or Yours?" It was with 100% good faith that we made the commitment to deliver the piece every Friday. However, it has become clear that 2009 is slated to be a most unpredictable year, rarely in the positive sense.


On Jen's side (I am speaking for her since she has more important business to address), her littlest munchkin has contracted Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV). Thankfully, it appears the baby, with any luck, will not contract pneumonia or worse, but I'd appreciate the good wishes and prayers of you fine people anyhow.


On my side, where to start? Insomnia, an odd falling out with my personal trainer, a husband who continues to be beaten by a stagnant job market, a nearly untenable office environment at my own job. And then folks, the icing on the cake...


I dosed myself with Nyquil last night in an effort to achieve something more than four hours of sleep. Miraculously, this finally worked, where wine, sleeping pills and sex had failed me earlier. Now perhaps my body had simply hit the wall, but I am choosing to view the good people at Vick's as angels of mercy. I was zonked out from 10:00 PM until 8:00 AM this morning. I woke up, finally feeling refreshed. It is brutally cold in Chicago, but the sun is shining and I was ready to embrace the day.


I had a 9:00 AM appointment with my new personal trainer (the former one is dead to me - another story for another time), and made my way to our car to make the short drive to the gym. The last thought I remember having before my mind went blank is" "Damn it Eddie! Why did you have to park in such deep snow?" As it turned out, this question was superfluous. Why, you may ask? Because I can't very well drive anywhere without a full set of tires can I? I worked my way toward the driver side door only to notice a broken jack burrowed beneath a thick layer of ice at my feet. My eyes continued to move Southward and this is when I noticed the rear tire was gone. For some reason, I stared dumbly for what felt like hours before my mind was able to process that I had been vandalized.


Now readers, I live right in the middle of an affluent City neighborhood, on a street that is simultaneously well lit, well traveled and well patroled by the Federales (that is the cops for you you non-Spanish speakers). Before I could realize the emotional fallout of this violation, I adopted a thoroughly scientific approach to sussing it out. How could someone jack up my car, steal a tire and simply walk away unnoticed? Acquaintances of mine have since theorized that the broken jack left behind, as well as the fact that I continue to have three good tires, suggests a crime interrupted. Normally I am empathetic to those who have had their work disrupted, but in this case I am counting my blessings.


My favorite part (I say this with obvious sarcasm) of having your car vandalized is that you are the one who has to make all the phone calls and fork over the $500 deductable. The cretin who committed this act dropped our car, as it appears, rather hard on the ground as they made their getaway, and it's more than possible the axle, or some other part of the vehicle, has sustained damage. I guess I'll know more on Monday when the State Farm adjuster comes to have a look. As I have alluded, my husband is presently out of work and this is just one more thing to deal with that wasn't needed.


My insurance agent says that in times of depression, crimes such as these become more prevalent. He says he is getting 3-5 calls a day from people who suddenly find themselvs without tires. Really? What about Americans coming together in times of crisis? Must we all go Lord of the Flies on each other?


The reason I have put a question mark beside the title of my post is that I am loathe to say the worst is over. It seems that when I make these assumptions, the Karma Genie pops up out his hiding place to remind me that things can, and will be worse yet. Case in point: I have a meeting with the tax man later today.


Is anyone else having a hideous week like Jen and I? Lie to me people. Tell me that things are going to get better. I typically thrive on brutal truth, but for the moment, reality is just a bit too rough for my stomach.


2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I'm a new blogger. Sorry to hear about your troubles,but the sun will come up tomorrow,bet your bottom dollar!! tomorrow,tomorrow...your always a day away!
    But seriously,I have just spent 2300 dollars within the last 5 months to keep my 3rd car running. (2000 Taurus)I'm married with 2 kids attending college and both living at home. We need 3 cars. I guess it's still cheaper then having them live on campus. Everyone has a story. I'm going into work the past 8 years,wondering if the axe is falling on me. They haven't found me yet,but it's a matter of time. Little tougher finding work at 51 years old. Living day to day,just like most of America!
    Hang in there!!,
    JimmyPasta

    ReplyDelete
  2. You MUST post the tale of the trainer! I thought you loved him!!!

    Gary

    ReplyDelete